Monday, October 10, 2011

First week

Well we have survived our first week of part-time work and school! It went so much better than I expected. Reese was excited on the first day and still loves going every morning. Knox cries at drop off but calms down quickly and really enjoys social time with the two other (younger) babies in his class. Both kids have wonderful teachers and the Montessori school is INCREDIBLE. Reese's classroom has lots of space. There are great Montessori style learning areas and "skill" trays to work on, along with art, books, slef serve snack and wash station. Reese's favorite thing is getting to serve her own snack and wash and rinse the plate and cup when she is done. The independence of Montessori is just right for her and the structure and nurturing is just right for me. She also loves getting to spend time outside on the playground, which they do first thing before going inside for "circle time". Knox is in the infant class which began this year. There are only two others that come, who are younger. He has a simple "soft" classroom with a "no shoes" rule. They have a little table with chairs for their meals and cribs and cots. Reese and Knox nap after lunch on cots. Both will hopefully nap better as they get more used to the new space, it was hard for both to get in the nap they get at home (but they sure slept well at night!). Knox gets to go on walks in the stroller with his teacher around our town. In fact I was distributing the new Ceramic Museum letter and almost ran into Knox and his teacher. Fortunately she saw me and we both turned around! But the glimpse I did see, Knox looked like he enjoyed being outside. Strollers always have a numbing effect on him, especially if he is already tired. I pack everyone a lunch box on Wednesday Thursday and Friday. I get to eat with Aaron everyday I work, which is wonderful! It will take me awhile to adjust because its so emotional to "leave" my kids and be working for 8 hours doing fun ceramic museum work, lunching with Aaron, and then switching back into mom mode, who does dinner, baths, bedtime, and cleanup. The transition from school to home is something we are still working out the kinks on. After all is done I can do nothing but pass out in the chair and prop my feet up! Its hard working and being a mom ( i dont know how the full time moms do it! you all are a rare breed!) I am truly thankful that I have 4 days together at home and then 3 at work. It they alternated I think life would feel alot more chaotic. BUT....I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY JOB! Its incredible to come to work, wearing real clothes "not pajamas", hair and makeup, talk to adults, talk about art, and handle ceramics in a lovely space, and have a mini-date every lunch time! Seriously it couldn't get better......oh wait it just did.. I have a parking permit! Awesome job. So my official title is Museum Assistant/Membership Coordinator of the Schein-Joseph International Ceramics Museum at Alfred University. My boss is great and I like the variety my job presents. It will be some juggling of tasks but nothing motherhood hasnt taught me to handle. I have my own office/ supply room, along with access to the Museum and Ceramics storage spaces (which have some amazing things). Just a glimpse into my world...my first week I put away an Akio Takamori pot, touched a Voulkos, and browsed pots from 400-600 AD.....and went to Val Cushings house to pick up a soup tureen. You ceramics people are all drooling arent you?? I know its NUTS! So I am loving it and feel so grateful that God saw fit to open this kind of job for me! What a gift. Aaron is continuing his research in the studio and attending classes on Tuesday nights and all day Wednesday. He has weekly meetings with Anne Currier (his faculty advisor this semester) to talk about his work. He has been working on some new concepts and will continue slab-building. The sky is the limit in grad school and he is eager to push his work to the next level. He is grateful not to be working an outside job ( its prohibited) and enjoys getting to live and breathe STUDIO while he's here. He is being challenged alot in the reading/writing arena. The material he has to read you seriously must have a dictionary beside you to get through it, its really obtuse language and complex thoughts. But it gets you thinking and I have enjoyed talking to Aaron about what he's learning and editing the papers he writes. Well I am tired and will end. Thanks for the prayers and support. We are blessed and grateful! Love you all

No comments:

Post a Comment